Veteran's Day in on November 11th. This is an important holiday in my patriotic family. My dad served in the National Guard and my brother-in-law is currently serving in the Army. I have seen the personal sacrifice that they have made. I have seen the sacrifices that my mom made and my sister currently makes. I think this day is crucial for our students to know and remember. Because of this, I have scoured the internet to find some important, easy, and fun activities to do on this day.
1. Flag and Thank You Banner: I really like the flags mixed in with the thank you notes. This would be a good one to hang up in the hallway.
2. Veteran Anchor Chart: I really like this anchor chart. This is a good one for younger grades to do altogether. My only problem is that I couldn't draw a soldier and have it look that cute! It really focuses student attention on why Veterans are important to us.
3. The Wall by Eve Bunting and other books. I think we can all agree that anything by Eve Bunting is good. The illustrations match the story being told in a beautiful and touching way. If you click on the picture or the link above, it will take you to a list of other books on Amazon.
4. Veteran's Day Waterfall Book I LOVE this idea. Very easy and very hands-on. This blog post only has pictures of her class making this so I decided to make my own labels. If you want to download the FREE VETERAN'S DAY WATERFALL LABELS just click on the link. If you need help creating a waterfall book, click here.
5. Lots of Veteran's Day Activities: links, links and more links!
6. I like to have more printable type activities to mix in with my other activities so I created a Veteran's Day Mega Pack.
Hopefully these few ideas really helped you for this holiday.